Here We Go!

It seems like blogging is all the rage for people my age, now classified as “twenty-somethings.”  I felt like I did enough “blogging” in my early teen years on xanga.com to last a lifetime… until I came across a blog from a mother to a daughter.  So I’ve decided to start this blog (how many times can I say ‘blog’) in hopes that Isabella will still love me down the road and want some type of advice from me.  So without further ado, my first post…

Things I’ve Learned Since July 3, 2013

1. Making Life Changes Will Affect Your Friendships:  “Make new friends, but keep the old. Some are silver and the other gold.”  In regards to school, there are going to be those people who encourage you to do well and graduate and there will be those who belittle your efforts because they are not doing the same.  Understand this isn’t about you and don’t take it personally.  Isabella, if you’re reading this, surround yourself with people who want to succeed and you will, too.  In regards to being engaged, marriage is a serious commitment.  If you truly love your fiancé and know that he/she is the one, surround yourself with people who encourage your commitment.  Don’t hold back on showing your love because you’re scared of what people think.  Bella, I promise you no one leaves this world feeling like they told their loved ones “I love you” too many times. By the way, I love you so much.

2.  Time Flies:  We spend so much time trying to get to the next part of our life, working to accomplish goals we set for ourselves, that we forget the working towards said goals are a part of our life just as much as our success.  While there are times I’m sure we can all agree with Lover Boy, I hope everybody isn’t working for the weekend.  Weekends make up roughly 2/7 of our lives.  There are always going to be certain times in our lives that are more difficult than others, losing loved ones, feeling like you haven’t slept in weeks after bringing your new baby home, studying for another test in another class when you see no end in sight, and countless others.  It might be cliché, Isabella, but try to always remember the good times wouldn’t be appreciated without some bad times.


3. Fake It Till You Make It:  This most certainly applies to motherhood.  We all have come across those know-it-all mothers but consider this ladies…  you find out you’re pregnant.  You have nine months to prepare your partner, your home and most importantly yourself to be in charge of a human being (I have never kept a plant alive for more than three days).  As said human being’s mom, you are expected to know what every little cry and whimper means, all while your own body is doing things it has never done before and producing things it has never produced before.  Everyone will give you advice, and all of their advice will contradict each other’s.  “Put rice cereal in her bottle to help her sleep longer.” “Don’t put rice cereal in her bottle, it will cause food allergies.” “Never wake a sleeping baby.” “Make sure you keep your baby awake during the day more to establish a routine.” I could go on and on. (Side note:  I am grateful for all advice.  Just explaining how overwhelming starting parenthood can be!)  This is where the aforementioned saying comes in.  Fake that confidence that every mom has.  Be confident in every decision you make with your child, especially around your baby.  As silly as it sounds, your baby knows when you’re feeling anxious or stressed, or even when you’re looking up how much you can sell a newborn for on Ebay (sorry, B!).  Even if you are totally clueless and need to call the all-knowing grandma for advice (ME, BELLA GIRL! CALL ME!), hold that baby close to you with confidence and I promise he/she will do better.

You have taught me so much more in the last five months but I’d like to keep your attention and end it before I bore you to death.  I’ve had the best five months of my life with you and your father and I hope that these posts will help you down the road at some point.

“I’ll like you forever, I’ll love you for always.  As long as I’m living, my baby you’ll be.”

-Mom

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Meet Donna

Too Cool

Marriage